Friday, September 23, 2011

SIA 2.0: Day 1

What a late post for me today homies!  I know you were all just waiting at the edge of your computer screens for my next entry, my writing is just so engrossing, try to contain yourselves.  Actually, don't, everyone knows I love a little adoration.  One of my favorite stories to tell is how I was going through the drive-through at my hometown Burger King once and the woman who gave me my order was like "Oh my gosh! I know you, you were in that play down at the high school!  Oh my, you were just so funny!". And, you know, I was funny, readers, I really was.


Enough about my illustrious acting career (maybe later I'll tell you all about my experience playing Helen Keller in the Fall Drama, as a FRESHMAN! Yea, kind of a big deal).  Let's get down to brass tacks, the new and improved SIA 2.0, hooray! I imagine if we were talking about SIA 2.0 in real life, it would be much like this SNL skit (in which I would be Kristen Wiig, of course).  


Yesterday was the first day of the revised plan.  I had already made plans before the first iteration of the SIA to go to dinner and a play with my two friends, Jefe and Smirnoff (names have been changed to protect the innocent).  We went to dinner at The Heights, which I highly recommend and was able to stick to my new spending plan by ordering just my entree with no extra drinks, appetizers, anything.  All things considered, the meal would've come in at about $15, not too shabby!


Note I said "would've".  You see, I didn't actually end up paying for the meal, as Jefe and Smirnoff felt the need to pay for me as a much-belated birthday gift. In a hushed whisper while rapidly putting away my debit card, I told them this wasn't necessary.  Here is an excellent tip I took away from the experience: If you are not in debt, buy yourself into it with birthday dinners, gifts for friends and family, rounds of drinks for other people, and other generous gestures.  Then, when you are in debt, you can use the guilty consciences of all the people you were buying things for to skate by for free for awhile!  What a great investment!


After dinner, it was onto the show.  We were seeing "Ay! Carmela!" at the GALA Hispanic Theater.  We were first drawn to the show, as "Ay, Carmela!" was a phrase we often uttered at our former study abroad director in Spain.  We all got drinks before the show, which I counted as okay being it was "social drinking" and I only had one. However, I ran into a situation as it was a cash only bar, and I had no cash!  Jefe paid for my drink and I gave him a verbal "I.O.U".  This leads me to another tip (devised by Jefe), when going out with friends, go to cash only places, but bring no cash!  This way, they'll pay for you, and later on will be too drunk to remember you owe them money! Win-win.


As it turned out, the show was really top notch.  The two actors gave astounding performances (coming from a fellow actor, that is an excellent critique, let me tell you) and there were both strobe lights and partial nudity involved! Jackpot!   


All in all, it was a very economical day.  This weekend will be my first "city" weekend on the SIA, so I'm sure I'll have plenty to update you all on when I return to updating on Monday.


*Sidenote: While "I Need A Bailout", or "INAB", is certainly my most precious endeavor, it's not the only blog I write for at the moment.  In fact, I'll be posting an entry on the Fair Elections Legal Network Blog later today.  Check it out, I think I make a pretty compelling argument about student voting in Maine.  Once I get the link, I'll be sure to post it here.


**Update: Things got ca-razy towards the end of the day, so no FELN blog post until Monday it would seem.  Oh the suspense! Can you handle it?



5 comments:

  1. Dearest, thank you so much for making me laugh, and for allowing me to secretly pass 20 minutes away from horrible excel sheets at work. CS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm so glad you enjoy the blog. I'm assuming your initials indicate that you are Charlie Sheen...and I'll tell you something, if you are reading this blog, you are definitely #winning, my friend.

    Just kidding, I think I know who you really are and, thank you, I'm glad to know you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I've been reading, I have been insanely jealous of everyone with code names! (And feeling a little dumb that I can only figure out who half of them are). I would indeed like my own, but maybe not Charlie Sheen. Hm. And how many people do you know with the initials CS? Well, to make it easier, I am the most important CS you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I will work on it, you should come to DC for Halloween and then I will have a lot to write about!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't because French fry's family will be here! (But I am sad, and vow to be there next year). We are both slammed at the moment, but I really want to visit soon, maybe in early November?

    ReplyDelete