Monday, September 26, 2011

SIA 2.0: Days 2 and 3, and an overdraft fee? Frick!

Good morning, Team Bailout, how are we all today?  I myself am doing well, apart from the sore throat I have after watching 7 hours of football with my good friend, Harmony, and the red eyes I seem to have acquired after a night of debauchery.  They make me look all Black Swan bad ass and like I'm constantly crying at the same time (note to self: do not buy Forever 21 glitter make up after the age of 15).  Also, no time for makeup this morning, so happy Monday co-workers, you get to look at this hot tranny mess all day long.

Also, I wanted to note that on my way into work today, I encountered not one, but two, small, blonde, sorority types listening to "Power" by Kanye West on their iPods.  Somehow, I do not think they were Kanye's target audience.  Give it up girls, you're not impressing anyone, switch over to Train like we all know you want to (sorry to my friends who actually like Train, I know you're out there).

Let's recap the weekend, shall we?  First of all a big shout out to Meredith Grey (if you haven't caught on by now, everyone on this blog gets code names, mostly for my sake, I don't want to be associated with these people in real life.  Just kidding!) for providing me with the most excellent budget spreadsheet I've ever seen!  You guys can find it here.  It's a great tool, especially for someone just starting to monitor spending, not only can you track your day to day spending (the point of SIA 2.0), but it will show you trends over time so you can see in black and white how to save money.  Thank you, Meredith!

Okay, back to the weekend.  Friday I managed to spend no money at all!  I stayed in for dinner and spent the evening catching up on my DVR'd shows.  Project Runway SPOILER in 3...2...1...
Thank you so much Heidi for getting rid of that weird British/American/Lady/Blonde Asian guy, he was the worst.  Also, if you noticed, whenever he felt like he was in trouble in the competition, he started pretending like he didn't speak English.  You grew up in England, homes, noone's buying it.

Saturday was where it all started to go a little downhill.  I started out the morning making absolutely a-mahzing homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes (pictures forthcoming).  Using stuff I already had in my kitchen, plus a can of pumpkin that I bought last week for like $2, I can now make them for the rest of the season!  That's at least a $50 savings over two months, go me!  I used this recipe, and highly recommend it, though my roommate Hot Donna and I decided it maybe could use the addition of some cloves during the milk/pumpkin heating process.

Then I went to flamenco class, which was prepaid, so no expense there.  Oh, what's that you say?  You want me to elaborate on my flamenco prowess?  Well I'm not sure I...okay, well, if you insist. Yes, Team Bailout (do you guys like this label? Feel free to suggest other ideas in the comments), I take a flamenco class once a week.  I took flamenco when I studied abroad in Spain, and since it's a dance that fat girls can do, I fell deeply in love with it.  So this fall I decided to dust off my tacones and pick it back up.  11-year-old Alex, whom I take class with, thinks I'm doing very well.

Saturday night I spent money on two cabs (transportation budget)?  But no money on drinks, which was good.  I splurged on McDonalds at the end of the night, but it just had to be done.  I can't really reason that one out except that I got McDonalds with Hot Donna, so it was a "social meal"...okay, yea, that fits into SIA 2.0.

Then Sunday came my budget busting nemesis, football.  I simply cannot watch football without drinking beer.  And, out of superstition, I cannot watch the Ravens play (they are my team...what time is it? game time! must protect this house...la la la) without drinking a brew from Baltimore's brewery Heavy Seas.  Now, Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (what I drink) is more pricey than your average Miller Light.  So, my bill for football adds up rather quickly, combine that with the food that I order so I don't pass out whilst drinking beer for 7 hours, and Sundays become very difficult for me.  I tried to drink only one beer per game, but our waiter made me feel so guilty, I even threw a coffee in the mix...but once the Ravens got on a roll, so did I, and the day ended with $7 purple shots for all!

I think I can definitely do a better job of controlling my Sunday spending, but I also think that depending on the rest of my week, I may be able to bend the rules on Sunday a bit, right? At least during football season?  What say ye, Team Bailout?


Oh! And if you're wondering about the title, I encountered my first overdraft fee this week.  I didn't time out my bank transfers correctly and stupid Pepco cashed a check that pushed me over the the limit.  Grrr....Pepco...if I didn't need electricity...I swear...I would...well...I would not pay them.


*Update - Here's the blog entry for the Fair Elections Legal Network that I promised on Friday.  Ch-ch-check it out y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment