Monday, October 3, 2011

The Beginning of the Weekly Goals

Bonjour mon readers.  My apologies for the late posting today, but it has been a bit of a struggle of a morning.  As most of you probably know, my beloved Ravens played the featured NFL game last night, which kicked off at 8:20 PM.  I had gone to watch the game with Hot Donna and Harmony, per usual, and we arrived to the bar circa 3:30 PM to catch the Giants game beforehand.  All things considered, we spent about eight and a half hours at the place, during which time I was drinking quite a bit of Loose Cannon (free beer please, Heavy Seas?) and random victory shots when the Packers, Giants, and Ravens all won.  Thusly, this morning was a bit rough for me, the Black Swan eyes have returned and I've already used up my one not-brought-from-home-lunch for the week.  Anyhoodle, that's why this is a late post.


Oh yea, in case you missed how I slipped in the Ravens' victory so smoothly up there, allow me to reiterate: We Won Beyotches! Those Jets ran out of fuel pretty quickly if you know what I'm saying (hahahaha, I am too much).  The network airing the game kept playing this one sack of Mark Sanchez over and over because the resulting touchdown was in dispute, and let me tell you, it was hilarious.  They showed it in like 7 angles, at 5 different speeds, and in every single replay Mark Sanchez just drops like a 12 year old girl.  Readers, it was a thing of beauty.


The day added up for me financially, as football Sundays usually do, but the rest of the weekend was pretty moderate.  One meal out, one movie, a few metro trips, and that was that, so I'm still pretty well on track financially speaking.  The movie was 50/50 in case you're wondering.  I love me some Joseph Gordon Levitt and let me tell you, he did not disappoint.  It tugged at my heartstrings, and that's quite a feat, as I'm not ashamed to say that I am an emotionally stunted person.  I often find humor in less than honorable places.  Like remember when that video of David Hasselhoff was first released, where he was eating a cheeseburger on the floor, with his shirt off?  Well, before we all knew this was an elaborate hoax so that his family of idiots could get their own reality show, most people thought "Oh, how terrible, his daughter had to see that?  Well that's just a shame, he needs help."  Not me, readers, not me.  I thought "Are you kidding? This is friggin' hilarious!  Look at him, he's trying to eat that burger...and oh! whoops! The whole patty just dropped out of the thing!  It's like a cartoon...what a d-bag."


Another example, if you'll allow me to indulge myself; perhaps many of you have read the seminal classic To Kill A Mockingbird.  I normally try to avoid anything related to the deep south, but I had to read it for school and I did (this was before I knew about the internet and stopped actually reading books for school).  Now, when we where discussing the book in class, most people talked about how scared they were for Scout in the final scenes and yada yada yada.  I couldn't help but point out that in those scenes, when Scout was running scared and falling on her ass all over town that she was doing so in A GIANT HAM COSTUME!  Can you imagine? "Oh, help me, I'm running for my life, I can't see through this faux pork costume!"  Comedy genius, Harper Lee knew what she was doing, it's not her fault that I'm the only one to recognize that the whole thing was just one big joke.  When I told my teacher this, she looked at me, stunned, and literally said, "There is something wrong with you."


Okay, so back to the point, 50/50, because of my emotional "specialness" as I'll call it, I had not cried at a movie before this weekend in over a year.  50/50 broke through my icy exterior, ripped out my dead heart and restored my sense of empathy and belief in humanity.  I guess you could say it was pretty good.  I give it 4 out of 5 stars.


Shifting gears a little bit, now that the SIA is firmly in place and my general spending rules are set, it's time to take this blog to the next level y'all!  What does this mean? How does it affect you? Will I continue to tell random non-fiscal related stories?  Well of course!


What it means is this, starting next week, I'm going to take on one spending goal/task each week.  This project is inspired by my good friends Gilly and Jaques who have a very lovely blog called Frozen Sunshine where they complete weekly resolutions together.  Here are some examples of ideas I have so far:



  1. Cook all my own meals
  2. Extreme-coupon shopping trips
  3. Find random "gigs" on Craigslist and do them (bonus if I don't get killed doing so)
  4. Spend no money on transportation
  5. Increase revenue from the blog by 50% (taking it from $.50 a year, to $1 basically)
  6. Sell my eggs
  7. Sell some blood/a kidney
  8. Participate in a paid focus group
  9. Recycle my wine bottles in Maine and get some money for them
  10. Try to sell some things I've written (Haiku about Anderson Cooper mostly)

You know, just spit-balling here, but those are a few things I'm considering.  Here's where I need your help readers.  Which of these resolutions should I try first?  What other things could I spend a week trying?  How would you like to see me humiliate myself next?

Respond in the comments, I'm both excited and terrified to see what you come up with for me.

1 comment:

  1. Gilly and Jaques? We assume this is a french Jack and Jill reference ;)

    Our suggestions:
    1. Track everything you spend, EVER. Not only will you not want to spend, because it's a hassle to write it all down, but then go back and see what you are spending, and see what you can cut.
    2. If you're going to eat out, eat at taco bell only, it's the cheapest. No sodas: water only. It's free.
    3. Making your own meals: if you buy chicken, use that chicken for multiple meals, and make it stretch.
    4. Cancel your cable service. This will be hard at first, but if you stick it out for a while, you'll start to realize just how much free time you have. also, you'll save a bunch of money each week. best way to cope, cancel cable, and get netflix. It's $10 a month for their tv service, as opposed to $33 (if you only have the most basic cable service)
    5. No seriously, cancel your cable.
    6.Un-plug everything when not in use, like the microwave, toaster, tv, computer, anything that has any sort of light while still "off."
    7.Don't drink at bars. If you're going to go to a bar, drink before hand, and then only get one drink at the bar, and only get that night's drink special. If you have to have your favorite drink, buy the ingredients and make it at home.
    8. Check out wwwfrozensunshine.blogspot.com for lots of money saving tricks. We're cheapo's! (for example, we already had a week of trying to spend as little as possible on food: http://wwwfrozensunshine.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-week-resolution-spend-as-little-as.html
    9. Seriously, cut cable.
    10. Pay off your loans NOW. or at least one dollar extra each bill.
    11. Being money smart is a lifestyle. Live within your means. We highly recommend the book, The Millionaire Next Door.

    We are going to be doing a week of see how little we can spend, so we could do a collaboration.

    ReplyDelete