Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day Three of No Meals Afuera (Out) Wherein I Cook!

Well readers, I did it!  I successfully cooked a meal that has provided me with a good amount of leftovers AND didn't taste awful!  Hot Donna will attest to that last part.  I used this recipe from Stolen Moments Cooking with the addition a bit of browned chicken sausage.  I had to make some substitutions for spices I didn't have, but it all worked! 

I understand if you don't believe me, you skeptical hobbits, and in fact, I expected it, therefore I have....da, da, da, duuuuuummm....PICTORIAL EVIDENCE!

Here is the pumpkin sauce simmering away on my stove:

Here is that same pan after adding the pasta and delicious browned chicken sausage, oooooooooh, STEAMY!:

And last, but not least, here's the final product:

Looks delicious, no?  Now, you probably have a few questions about this photo.  First of those is probably, "Good God you urchin, is that ice?  In your red wine? How bourgeois!".  Calm down, nerds, that is actually a fine, mixed cocktail of red wine, diet coke, and a splash of grenadine otherwise known as a calimocho.  Don't be taken aback by the fancy Wikipedia page though, this drink is mostly consumed by underage punks in Spain who can't handle their booze yet.  However, it is both foreign, alcoholic, and delicious, thus I deem it appropriate for my amazingly refined palate.  If you'd like to make your own calimocho at home, I suggest using the cheapest wine possible.  The one in the above picture, for example, was made with month-old Franzia and flat Diet Coke.  Yum!

Now, second of those questions might be, "Is that a Carter Mondale 1976 campaign button in the background?! Umm...I'm jealous!".  You know it is, readers.  I picked up that little piece of history on a visit to the Carter Library in Hotlanta.  Now, I don't know if it was actually produced for the 1976 campaign, I think it is a replica, but I mean I got it at the Carter Library, so there are definitely some authenticity points there.  Carter was one of my favorite presidents actually, despite the fact that I wasn't alive during his administration.  But human rights! And the Camp David Accords!  That was pretty bad ass, no?  And he was a peanut farmer! Peanuts, beyotches!

I have a dream that I will one day visit every presidential library in the nation.  Some say I'm crazy, so many people have tried and failed on such a journey before, but I think - nay - I KNOW it can be done.  Challenge me, readers, I dare you.

3 comments:

  1. "You skeptical hobbit" is a line I will be stealing without regret, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I just stumbled upon your blog, and I can honestly say, I don't recall the last time someone's blog made me laugh so hard. Was truly a joy to read, and I will be grabbing a tasty beverage of my own, camping out on the couch and reading the rest of your posts. I have no doubt they will be just as much fun.
    ~Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank you so much Autumn, what a nice thing to say! I hope you enjoyed several tasty (read: alcoholic) beverages whilst reading.

    ReplyDelete