Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm Back!

Oh readers, you can dry your tears, I have returned.  Did you miss me?  What am I saying, of course you did!  Sorry for the lack of legitimate post yesterday, but my boss is taking off on an international adventure today, and there was a lot to be done before he left.


Let's catch up about the past two days.  Monday on my way into work, I may or may not have mentioned that I had to take a cab.  "But Erica," you say, "don't you live on a very convenient Metro line that takes you directly from your home to work at a low cost?"  Well, that is half true, I do live near a Metro line, but it is hardly what I'd call "convenient".  A good friend of mine, we'll call him Wiig, used to live on the same line as I do now, the red line, and he used to say, "The red line is run by communists...and that's why it's called that."  We all laughed at his jovial turn of phrase, yet in the back of my mind I always thought, "I hope one day I'll live on the red line, then I'll have truly arrived."  


So, about a year ago, I moved to a red line residence.  I was excited, elated, I had big dreams of passing through Metro Center and Gallery Place without needing to switch trains.  Ah, the glory of it all!  Then I realized that all that time my friend Wiig wasn't kidding.  In an average month, I'd say the red line gets me where I need to go, on time, about 50% of the time.  The other 50% of the time I am stuck on crowded trains while the train before us offloads because some Hill Intern passed out in the third car after wearing 10 inch heels to work and drinking only Vitamin Water all day.  Or, the trains are delayed, or they have mechanical problems, or they're single tracking due to "scheduled track maintenance"...some days readers, it takes all I have not to just jump on the third rail and end the nightmare for good.


Such was the situation I found myself in on Monday morning.  After waiting 5 minutes for a train, in rush hour, I finally board one only to be told that it was "off loading" due to a mechanical problem.  This meant, everyone on the train, plus the 500 people waiting on the platform had to all squeeze together and hope to sardine themselves on the next train.  Readers, I don't do a sardine packed train.  I did it once, before the Rally to Restore Sanity and an old lady had a panic attack right before my very eyes.  10/30/10, Never Forget.  Anyway, people in this city have too many bags and really poor hygiene, plus very few of us are caffeinated by the time we're making our morning commute so the whole thing adds up to hell on earth.  I'd rather be at a Wiggles concert with my landlord.  As I was already late, I decided to exit the Metro and hop into a cab.


This is all to say that I had an unexpected transportation expense on Monday.  Other than that though (and the lunch I mentioned that I purchased...sometimes a girl just needs a burger) it was a pretty cost effective day.  


Yesterday I made it to work much more easily, didn't buy lunch, and only spent money on dinner. Hot Donna suggested we order Chinese and as she brought up the idea, I considered it a social meal and I partook.  Plus, I had enough left over for two additional meals.  All things considered, it has been a more expensive week so far than usual, and with an out of town friend coming this weekend, I'm not sure it will slow down, so I'm a bit worried.


Speaking of out of town friends, congratulations to Gilly and Jaques for solving yesterday's puzzle AND giving me a huge amount on help on ideas for money making/saving which included going to Taco Bell (which I always loooove) AND ALSO floating the idea of a blog collaboration sometime in the near future! Get excited!  If you haven't checked it out yet, their blog is frozensunshine.blogspot.com it's great, it tells you how normal people survive in WY, and they have cute dogs.


That reminds me, I have a new post up at the Fair Elections Legal Network blog.  If you care about voting rights, and car registrations, check it out.


One final note, if any of you happened to visit the blog yesterday, you may have seen this:




That's right readers, your eyes do not deceive you.  Apparently, my rant on Zooey Deschanel lead to Google putting one of her cotton ads up on here, umm...excuse me?  Oh, Google, no...this is not how your fancy analytics are supposed to work.  Especially since in the rant I talk about how I hate that she only wears vintage dresses and sings in everything she does and she both SINGS and WEARS A VINTAGE dress in this ad and its television-based twin!  Plus that quote, "Dresses can be more comfortable than pants."?  What the crap? No they're not! No one has a bad day and goes home to eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's in an evening gown.  No one works out in a dress. Except maybe a drag queen, on both counts.


Come off it Zooey. Where are my ads for Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, the official beer of EricaNeedsABailout.blogspot.com?

No comments:

Post a Comment