Thursday, October 20, 2011

New Saving Tips and "Hocus Pocus" Day!

Good afternoon friends!  I am so excited today!  Do you know why?  I'll tell you, it's "Hocus Pocus" day!!!!  It's the one day a year I reserve solely for myself.


What is "Hocus Pocus" day, you ask?  I'll tell you that too!  Every year, you see, ABC Family airs the classic Halloween film, "Hocus Pocus".  This is one of my all time favorite movies and really gets me into the Halloween spirit.  Thus, every year on the night ABC Family shows this cinematic masterpiece, I park myself on my couch with a blanket, some wine, and a bag of candy corn and just dive in to all the campy, dated fun.


It's one of my favorite days of the year.


But, you didn't come here to talk about my fabulous taste in movies, you want to hear some great money saving tips!  Well I've got a couple for you today you greedy little squirrels.


1. Take advantage of your Alumni Association
If you were lucky enough to go to college within the past 5 years or so, odds are you are living with your parents, working some random pays-the-bills job, and are completely broke.  Also, odds are you paid thousands and thousands of dollars to your alma mater for tuition and have seen little return on the investment.  Here's where the alumni association comes into play.  No matter where you went to school, if your university was decently large, they likely host events for alumni in all areas of the country.  These events might range from happy hours to discounted sporting events and concerts.  Take advantage of them like they took advantage of you for 4 years.


Why, just yesterday Jefe, GT and I went to an alumni association soccer game wherein we paid about $20 to eat two meals worth of free food and drink a couple beers.  It was economic, and lovely!


2. See what Facebook can offer
As it was raining decently in DC yesterday, after we stuffed ourselves full of alumni association provided food, we opted not to stay for the game itself.  Instead we met up with Smirnoff in Chinatown and got margaritas the size of our heads at Austin Grill.  Seriously these things were what they call "Texas Sized" and I call a "D.U.I. in a glass" (read:ginormous).  I didn't take a picture and I can't find one online to do them justice, so you'll just have to imagine.  Anyway, as Smirnoff had "liked" Austin Grill on Facebook before we went, we were entitled to a free appetizer AND our waiter gave us a voucher for a free app on our next visit too.  Amazing!


The point is, a lot of places do trade-offs like this when you follow them on Twitter, or become a fan on Facebook.  If you know where you're going to dinner one night, it's worthwhile to look them up and see if they also do something like this.  Even if you don't find anything, just walk in and when speaking to your waiter or cashier, lowly whisper the words "Facebook" or "Twitter" like it's code.  That way, if there is something you missed, they'll give it to you, or they'll give you a discount anyway just to get the crazy person away from them.


Don't you all just love it when I drink as research for this little blog?  I know you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment