Monday, October 24, 2011

Writing Down Spending and Something Else

The title of today's post is vague, I know, but that's because I don't know what my next spending goal is going to be...so hopefully I'll have something figured out by the time I finish writing.


Let's begin with something easy, a recap of last week's goal: writing down everything I spend.  In order to complete last week's goal, I used a lovely site that many friends have recommended to me called Mint.com.  


Believe me when I tell you that this site is amazing, but it is slightly alarmist in its technique.  You see, Mint connects to your bank accounts and tracks your transactions, then compiles your net worth and debt to credit ratio, and lots of other stuff that will make you feel really poor.  As soon as you sign in the first time, Mint will attack you, telling you your net worth is something like negative infinity and you will never be a member of Patti Stanger's Millionaire's Club.

Mint also looks at your transactions, and creates a categorized budget for you based on how much you spend on certain things.  For example, my movies and DVDs budget is larger than my fashion budget because I prioritize movies over personal appearance.  This is why I am beating away boys with a stick.  Then Mint tells you with a giant red bar and a warning message when you have gone over your fashion budget by a whopping $12, as if you have 2 minutes to dismantle an atomic bomb.

All joking aside, the website is extremely helpful and is really showing me, in no uncertain terms, not only what I'm spending but also where I'm spending it.  This is taking the whole SIA to a new level by adding a new dimension to the spend/not spend dilemma.

Now, onto more exciting things, namely, the most excellent things that came of my weekend at home.  On Friday night, my family took me to a simply bananas restaurant in Baltimore called Woodberry Kitchen.  It was crazy good and I got an authentic Maryland crab cake with a side of potato salad!  I don't know if I've written about my love for potato salad here, but I probably should.  Team, I adore a good potato salad, I even adore a bad potato salad.  Last week, I walked through the rain to a soccer game I didn't even attend solely for potato salad.  I ordered it in a Japanese restaurant once.  Potato salad is not only my favorite food, it may be my favorite thing about America.  

The meal in its entirety looked something like this:


Plus the interior of the place was really hip to the groove, it looked something like this:
Note: I jacked these pictures from the internet, I didn't snap any of them.  Sorry!
The weekend also resulted in a few new pairs of shoes for me, as my Mom couldn't stand to see me walking around in the busted-looking red canvas travesties that I was calling footwear.  


For some reason, and completely tangentially, that sentence makes me think of this time in high school where I had to do a group project, and in order to represent the poverty of the peasant class in medieval Europe, we made one of the guys in our group wear newspapers as socks inside his Etnies.  You know, real authentic like.


Anyway, here's a picture of one of the pairs I (or rather, my Mom) bought, you know you wanted to see them you closet fashionistas:




Sparkly! The weekend concluded with the most economical trip to a McDonalds I've ever seen.  Mamma Evans had been collecting those Monopoly play pieces things and we ended up getting a full meal with burger and fries for only the price of the soda!  Way to save, Momz! I was going to take a picture of the receipt to prove it, but it's not coming out too hot on my phone.


Now that we've gotten all that out of the way, I guess it's time to face the music and pick my next challenge.  I think I'm going to try extreme couponing a shopping trip.  I don't need to stock up, but I can probably save a lot of money by spending the week collecting coupons and doing online sale searches, and then making a big trip to the social Safeway this weekend for some groceries.  As this is my first trip, let's say I want to get enough groceries for 2 weeks for under $40.  My G-mom gave me some coupons this weekend, so I'm off to a good start.


Before I sign off, let me take a minute to thank my family in B-more for treating me to such a wonderful visit, and wish my boys the Ravens good luck in their football-ing endeavors tonight!  Woot! Game time!

2 comments:

  1. OMG the newspaper socks! Thank for that Erica!
    Good luck with the extreme couponing, we haven't really ever been that successful at couponing since I feel we purchase mainly store brand and they don't really offer coupons on those....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm curious, what was the difference in amount spent this week? As opposed to the $40 last week only eating from home

    ReplyDelete